1. CITY OF COVINGTON BUSINESS TAX LICENSE This license may be obtained from the City of Covington Clerk's Office (Business Tax Division) located at 200 West Washington Ave., 2nd Floor, Code Compliance Department, Covington, TN 38019. The cost of the license is $15.00. Seeing that your business is also located inside Tipton County, you must also purchase a County license.
2. TIPTON COUNTY ASSESSOR'S OFFICE (PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX) This tax is imposed on Business' Tangible Personal Property located within Tipton County. An annual tax schedule is automatically sent to any Business subject to this Tax. Information concerning the applicability of this Tax and reporting requirements can be obtained by contacting the Tipton County Assessor's Office at 100 Court Square in Covington, TN 38019, or call (901) 476-0213.
3. TIPTON COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT If your Business operations in any way involve the purchase, processing or sale of food items, or the cutting, styling or care of hair, a permit may be required by the Tipton County Health Department, located at 4700 Mueller Brass Road, Covington, TN 38019, or call (901) 476-0235.
4. STATE OF TENNESSEE, DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE (SALES TAX REGISTRATION) All prospective Business' should contact the Tennessee Department of Revenue, located at the Andrew Jackson State Office Building, Nashville, TN 37242-1399, to determine the applicability of the sales and use tax regulations to the proposed business activity. If the business is responsible for collecting and reporting sales and use tax, proper registration forms will be provided upon request. For further information, call (615) 253-0600.
5. SECRETARY OF STATE TENNESSEE (CORPORATE DIVISION) Any small business which has elected to conduct operations as a small business corporation must be aware of the strict state requirements for a corporation's creation, maintenance of its status, and additional reporting and tax obligation unique to corporate existence at both State and Federal levels. The local office at the Tennessee Department of Revenue, located at the James K. Polk Building (18th Floor), Nashville, TN. In either the practice of Law or accounting; and competent legal advice is strongly recommended before making a commitment to create and maintain a small business corporation. For more information, call (615) 741-2286.
6. EMPLOYER'S FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER A business operating as sole proprietorship with no hired employee may satisfy the reporting requirements of the Federal Government under the Social Security Number of the proprietor. However, a partnership, a small business corporation with one or more hired employees must obtain an employer's identification number from the Federal Government. Application may be made to the Internal Revenue Service on Form SS-4, which is available at the IRS Office in the United States Federal Courthouse, located at 801 Broadway (Room 134), Nashville, TN or call 1-800-829-1040. A request should be made for publications 17 and 334 for information concerning record keeping and reporting requirements for small business' through the Internal Revenue Service. Detailed information concerning an employer's reporting and remittance liabilities is contained in publication 15 an Employer's Circular E. Additional assistance with business related IRS regulations and reporting requirements are made available IRS the form of free workshop. These are usually offered once each month at the downtown office. For information or to register for the next workshop, contact the IRS at its toll-free number, 1-866-816-2065.
7. STATE OF TENNESSEE (BOARD FOR LICENSING CONTRACTORS) Any person, business, or sub-contractor making any type of improvement to residential property one (1), two (2), or three(3) single family unites where the job is less than $25,000.00 and requires a permit from the City of Covington Code Compliance Office, are subject to and must obtain a State of Tennessee Home Improvement License, required by the State of Tennessee Home Improvement Licensing Act-Senate Bill #935. For more information please call 1-800-544-7693.
A person business or prime contractor performing a construction job in excess of $25,000.00 is subject to and must obtain a State of Tennessee General Contractors License. This license is obtained at The Board of Licensing Contractors located at 500 James Robertson Pkwy., Nashville, TN 37219, or by calling (615) 741-8307.